Terms and conditions of entry
The Basil Sellers Art Prize is a $25,000 art prize and exhibition that features 2D traditional medium artworks from around Australia. The winning work will be acquired by businessman and philanthropist, Basil Sellers and placed in his extensive private collection.
Artists from Eurobodalla will also be eligible for the Eurobodalla Shire Council’s acquisitive award of $5,000 and a solo exhibition at the Bas in 2023.
The Basil Sellers Art Prize is open to residents of Australia, before completing an application it is important to read the entry conditions below. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Applications must meet all of the following conditions:
- All artworks must have been created within the last 12 months.
- The artist must be the sole originator of the work.
- Artworks must be 2D in the category of painting, drawing or traditional printmaking (unique state prints only, limited edition prints or copies will not be accepted).
- Maximum size of works is 180cm x 180cm including framing.
- Works must not exceed 20kg.
- All works must be for sale. Commission on sales will be 20% inclusive of GST.
- All artworks must be available for the full duration of the exhibition.
- Artists may enter as often as they wish however only one work per artist can be selected as a finalist.
- The Basil Sellers Art Prize call for entries opens Monday 16 May 2022, 8am.
- A separate entry form and payment must be completed for each artwork.
- All sections of the entry form must be completed.
- All entries must be received by Friday 29 July 2022, 11.59pm.
- No late entries will be accepted.
- A non-refundable GST inclusive entry fee of $50 per entry must be paid.
- Payment must be made electronically via the entry form
- The Artist must submit an artist’s statement relating to their entry (max 25 words). The statement is for promotional purposes and for inclusion in the exhibition catalogue. It does not form part of the judging process.
- Artists must submit one jpeg image per artwork. Digital images will be for viewing and selection by the judges. Entrants are advised to submit a quality image showing the entire artwork.
- Images must be labelled: artist_name_title_of_work_year
- Eurobodalla Shire Council reserves the right to reject any artwork deemed unfit to exhibit.
- Eurobodalla Shire Council reserves the right to reproduce any submitted image by print or electronic media for the purposes of advertising, promotion and documentation of the exhibition.
- The $25,000 acquisitive prize winner will be chosen from all entrants into the Basil Sellers Art Prize. This prize-winner is ineligible for the $5000 Eurobodalla Prize.
- The $5000 acquisitive Eurobodalla Art Prize winner will be chosen from Eurobodalla entrants.
- Judging will take place in two stages: Selection of the finalists from digital images and selection of the winners from the hung exhibition.
- All entries will be reviewed for finalist selection by a panel consisting of a Basil Sellers representative and Eurobodalla Shire Council staff.
- The selection of the winners will be made by this year’s judge Simeran Maxwell, Associate Curator, Australian Art, National Gallery of Australia.
- All entrants will be notified by email of their status after the first stage of judging.
- The Basil Sellers Art Prize winning entry is acquisitive and will be placed in Mr Basil Sellers’ private collection. The $25,000 prize will constitute the full price of the winning entry.
- The Eurobodalla Award winning entry is acquisitive and will be placed in the Eurobodalla Shire Council's art collection. The winning artist will receive $5000 plus a solo exhibition in the Bas in 2023.
- The People’s Choice Award winner will receive $500.
- All entries will be judged on the merit of the work. The Judge’s decision is final and no correspondence regarding their decision will be entered into.
Entrants warrant that they have the consent of any person/s whose images appear in submitted works (or, in the case of a minor or a person without legal capacity, the consent of the parent/legal guardian or representative), to the images being held and used by Eurobodalla Shire Council and that the subject is aware that their image will be:
- submitted into this exhibition
- used by Eurobodalla Shire Council for purposes related to the exhibition.
- The artist is responsible for all transport arrangements and costs including any insurance whilst in transit.
- All works must be ready for hanging or display.
- Winners of the Eurobodalla Award and the major prize will be announced at the opening of the exhibition, Friday 7 October 2022.
- Winning artists must make themselves available for media interviews.
- The winner of the $25,000 prize will be notified of their win prior to the exhibition.
- opening in order to be present at the announcement either in person or digitally.
- An artist profile of the major winner and the Eurobodalla Award winner will be included on the Bas website.
- The People’s Choice Award will be announced after the conclusion of the exhibition.
For further information please contact:
- T: 4474 7355
- E: email@example.com